It is called Skilled Trades, and its name has great importance in the American economy. Defines the occupation that requires a high technical specialization and knowledge. They are mechanics, electricians, plumbers, construction workers, etc.
As you can see, they are professions that require a significant specialization. Learning these trades is through “apprenticeship,” a learning modality that combines practical work and theoretical studies in 80% and 20%, respectively. Further down in the post, you will find.
Skilled Trades in demands
At this point, you will say: “Ok, I already know what this specialty is, but which ones represent a greater job opportunity for me?” What is the best skilled trades to learn?
We can divide into two large groups. Those who create and those who build. That is to say, on the one hand, we have the professionals in charge of manufacturing materials, and on the other hand, those who use these materials to build and install these objects in houses, hospitals, businesses, etc.
It is a work area that requires high qualifications. The professional has to learn skills related to machinery, manufacturing facilities, and even those related to each company. And it is that some businesses manufacture a series of products where the worker, once he has been hired, needs training in the company’s elements.
- Assemblers and Fabricators
- Food Processing Operators
- Jewelers and Precious Stone
- Metal Workers
- Power Plant Operators
The forecasts are that there is an increasing demand for specialized workers in this field. Some indicators allow us to see that by 2030, around 2.1 million jobs will remain unoccupied.
Therefore, it is an excellent job opportunity that you can go for it.
2. Commercial construction
We are talking about the construction, rental, or sale of spaces in the private sector. An example is hospitals, restaurants, or shopping malls.
What do we find here? As we saw in manufacturing, a high level of specialization is required. Some experts already speak of a possible fear that there will be no specialized workers in this field in a few years.
And workers will be needed.
Between 2014 and 2019, commercial construction grew by 8%. However, it had a break due to Covid. Once we get back to normal, this area will again have constant growth.
Some of these jobs are:
Skilled Trades Shortage 2022
During the pandemic, the government’s public agency, the Bureau of Labor Statistics workers, lost 8 million jobs in Skilled Trade, and more than 4 million are needed now.
After the end of the most challenging moment of the pandemic, many workers decided not to do these jobs again.
And companies are looking for young workers…
68% of recruiters have trouble finding qualified workers for these positions. Without a doubt, a great opportunity.
Skilled Trade Salary
Let’s go to the important thing, the money. What is the highest paying trade? There are quite a few job opportunities at Skilled Trade.
Scarcity is, without a doubt, it is what revalues the price that companies are willing to pay.
Here you can find up to five different positions but at the top of the rankings in terms of salary:
- Weather Trader – $71,957 (Annual Salary)
- Trader Construction – $69,553
- Trade Supervisor – $68,460
- Mechanical Trade – $59,935
- Work From Home Trades Supervisor – $59,622
Most of the Skilled Trade in demand are, according to Indeed, the following jobs:
- Refuse Collector
- Legal Assitant
- Bus Driver
- Brick Mason
- Construccion equipmen operator
- Tractor-trailer driver
- Crane operator
- Wind turbine technician
- HVAC technician
- Licensed practical nurse
- Diesel technician
- Home inspector
- Aircraft mechanic
- Landscape designer
- Construction manager
Skilled Trade Certificate
There are two ways to learn the trade. The first is through an apprenticeship; the second is through a certificate. That is, through a school where you work directly with the machinery for hours.
There are three types of certificates:
- Mechanic and repair. Yes, everything you buy at some point is going to spoil. And yes, it will happen three days after the warranty ends. You will have to call a mechanic to fix the damaged machinery. Look for the certification that best links with what you want to learn to fix: air conditioners, washers, dryers, etc…
- Building. Basically, in this certification, you will have to learn the types of construction materials, a little math (sorry, but you have to go back to study math), or how pipes work. This way, you can build houses, hospitals, schools, or, most importantly, taquerias :).
- Precision production trades. They are in charge of creating furniture or the clothes you wear. The little things you use throughout the day. It is one of the most creative certificates. Designing a piece of furniture or clothing is not only focused on the technical process. It’s another art show.
Well paid certificates we have:
- Medical/Clinical Assistant Schools
- Health/Medical Assisting Services Schools
- Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse Training (LPN, LVN, Cert, Dipl, AAS) Schools
- Medical Insurance Coding Specialist/Coder Schools
- General Studies Schools
- Cosmetology/Cosmetologist Schools
- Pharmacy Technician/Assistant Schools
- Medical Insurance/Biller Schools
- Ultrasound Technician Schools
- Massage Therapy Schools
To master an area of Skilled Trade, the ideal is to sign up for an Apprenticeship. It is what we can call in Spanish: “aprendiz”. During the course duration, you study theory 20%, and the rest you dedicate to learning by working.
These studies must have a very well-defined schedule and a mentor to guide the learning process. It is, without a doubt, an excellent opportunity to learn.
If you want to learn more about it, click here, we dedicate an entire post about this process.